Building a rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNsAnE

Senior
senior
Reaction score
i would recommend the i7 2600k. Not i7 950.

Flip

Old School
old school
Reaction score
You don't need the Ethernet card or the sound card, your motherboard should take care of those just fine.

Unless you're using some heavy work desk application that can take advantage of the i7 2600k, you're better off with the i5 2600k.

If you are building the computer for gaming, upgrade the graphics card to something more substantial like a Radeon HD 6950/70 or the nVidia equivalent. Your motherboard should be able to support both CrossFire and SLI so you can just buy another one if you need more power in the future.

I'd change the hard drive to something more reliable and faster like a SpinPoint F3. You're using the SSD as a boot drive I'm assuming which is fine.

Look for combo deals on newegg to save money ^_^

Personally, I'd get a different case. There are quite a few nicer Corsair ones that combo with your power supply I believe.

Edit:

I'd also recommend getting an aftermarket cooler for your CPU, especially if you're going to be overclocking. You'll need to get some thermal paste then, too (although I believe most coolers come with some).

Kanni

Senior
senior
Reaction score
1. Razer products break easily, gay as fk, /rage /rage /rage /rage /rage
2. Speakers look mad sexy but im not an audiophile like, Emalkay
3. hard drive is only 5900 rpm, get something faster
4. Good choice spending $20 or less on a dvd drive :)
5. SSD looks pretty good, might want to get a 120 gb, but this works too
6. Wireless Card looks good
7. Sound and Ethernet aren't needed as they are built in to motherboard
8. Graphics card is a dinosaur, get something better if you are planning to play modern games
9. Ram seems overpriced because you can get 4gb of ram really cheap for like $30
10. Get a 2500K instead of that, or the i7 2600K
11. Motherboard looks fine.
12. Power supply looks good, but modular is a better choice.
13. Could do better with the case TBH, Better Cases:
Haf 912 - $60
CM 690 ii - $90
Nzxt PHantom - $125 - $140

14. Moniter is great

C

Cfomodz

Original poster
Thanks (And +rep) for the responses guys! I appreciate the help.. I had no clue about the eithernet card and sound card, so that's money saved. I will look into the different i7 and a faster HDD as that seems to be what all of you said...

Also, I am not really going for price here, but I have no obgection to saving a few bucks, how would I combo stuff on newegg? Would I still get my pick as to what items I get... Also, the case is one of the most important to me, I want it to look REALLY cool, I don't care about price on that one, can someone link a sexy case (Green or Blue)

As a note, I am not going to overclock ANYTHING, and I will be playing new video games on it (I.E. Call of Duty Black Ops / MW3 when it comes out) so what kind of a graphics card will I need for that, again, I don't really care that much about price, I was just picking the parts that looked like they would work together well...

Also, someone made a comment about the DVD drive and I wasn't sure if they were serious, ya, it is a cheap one, but the only thing I will use the DVD drive for it to install WIN 8.. Then any video game that i buy, but then I wont really be using it, I watch movies on my Xbox (42'' flat screen) so I don't need blue ray or anything like that.. This is really going to be a business computer (I work at home (Online)) that can also act as a Gaming PC on the weekends, but I am not going to be doing anything crazy on it.

Bubba925

Old School
old school
Reaction score
Website
www.bubbadrk.blogspot.com
1. Case looks good, not sure about the brand but cases usually don't worry me too much. It also has three nice big fans so it should be fairly quiet on the cases side.

2. I have heard amazing things about this power supply so I would recommend this one.

3. The motherboard looks good.

4. Other people were saying the i7 2600k/i5 2600k same thing here.

5. Good ammount of RAM and pretty good price.

6. This video card is much better

7. No need for the sound card, unless you want better audio for your games, if so its a good choice.

8. No need for the Ethernet adapter.

9. Unless you want wireless, no need for the wireless adapter.

10. This SSD is the fastest on the market right now. And there is a 60GB version but you will probably need this 120GB version

11. CD/DVD burners are all the same pretty much. So you're good.

12. This hard drive is better as in faster.

13. Don't have anything against the monitor, so I think its a good choice.

14. Speakers seem fine, might want a headset if you're going to be gaming.

15/16. Keyboards/Mice are really user preference. I personally right now have the HP Wireless Elite Keyboard, because I like the keys its nice and quiet but as a secondary keyboard I have a Microsoft Sidewinder x6. I also have a Microsoft Sidewinder x8 Wireless Mouse that I use and really like.

9001. I am jelly. Very jelly.

I have been looking into buying a new SSD, the one I recommended and cloning my current 500GB HDD onto it after stripping most programs, then running everything off of the SSD, backup 1-2TB HDD and also my current 500GB HDD as a backup.. I don't have like $250 to through around though :p

ttpm15

Senior
senior
Reaction score
Get AMD ( cheaper )

about ram, check slickdeals, slickdeals's member post some amazingly cheap ram deals ( most of them from newegg )

Bubba925

Old School
old school
Reaction score
Website
www.bubbadrk.blogspot.com
Get AMD ( cheaper )

about ram, check slickdeals, slickdeals's member post some amazingly cheap ram deals ( most of them from newegg )

Currently Intel has much better performance, until AMD's Bulldozer comes out. And he is not exactly looking at price so cheaper isn't a big deal. As for me I have an AMD, cause I ain't got the money :p

Kanni

Senior
senior
Reaction score
Pick One >.>, Prices might be cheaper than stated:

NdS80.jpg

For Ram:

Newegg has 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Value Series DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory (F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT) for $35 if you use the code: EMCKBJH66. with free shipping.

C

Cfomodz

Original poster
I want the NZXT Guardian Reborn 921 - can I get all / any of those on Newegg?

Kanni

Senior
senior
Reaction score
Ye, im pretty sure all of them are on newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.