Connect cable box to monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trahm

Original poster
Reaction score
Website
www.techneektv.com
Hey guys I'm going to college in 8 days. I don't want to buy a TV because my monitor is 22"... but the only thing is I don't know what to use to connect the cable from the cable box to my monitor (never had a need so idk). So yeah. How do I go about connecting the cable box to my monitor? Anyone know? Thanks!

PhatP

Reaction score
What inputs are on your monitor and what outputs are on the cable box? Therein lies the real question.

BitcH

Old School
old school
senior
Reaction score
It would be significantly cheaper to go cable box > comp > monitor via capture card. Unless you have a supermonitor you're going to have to buy a rather expensive converter to get either component or hdmi into dvi, then you have to worry about sound.

Reactions: Trahm

Trahm

Original poster
Reaction score
Website
www.techneektv.com
I'll see about getting a capture card then... that would work out the easiest I guess.

And my monitor has DVI connections. Thanks for the help guys!

Trahm

Original poster
Reaction score
Website
www.techneektv.com
Ok I contacted the housing services at my university and it turns out the cable provider is Comcast. The cable that goes from the cable box to the TV is a standard coaxial cable... do TV Capture Cards accept coaxial inputs? Can someone help me find one that does?

Dap Kin

Professional Ball Jiggler
old school
senior
Life Saver
Reaction score
Website
itsdap.com
Ok I contacted the housing services at my university and it turns out the cable provider is Comcast. The cable that goes from the cable box to the TV is a standard coaxial cable... do TV Capture Cards accept coaxial inputs? Can someone help me find one that does?

Yes, there are certain ones that do. You will need to set up Windows Media Center on your PC once you get the TV Tuner card. I'll google one for you.

For a non-HD resolution (720x480) get: http://www.amazon.com/eHome-Theater-200-NTSC-Tuner/dp/B000MX6AR2/

For HD resolution (1280x720 or 1920x1080) get: http://www.amazon.com/Mygica-HDTV-Thriller-ATSC-Desktop/dp/B001K2M3SY/

Sorry, couldn't find any the same quality any cheaper.

Reactions: Trahm

Trahm

Original poster
Reaction score
Website
www.techneektv.com

xNSX

Reaction score
Does your cable box have hdmi if so get a DVI to HDMI its cheap and HD

Dap Kin

old school
senior
Life Saver
Reaction score
Website
itsdap.com
Does your cable box have hdmi if so get a DVI to HDMI its cheap and HD

Doesn't matter if the connections are HD. If he doesn't have HD service, A. there wouldn't be a HDMI connection on the back, and B. there would be a maximum of like 720x480 pixels output from a standard definition cable box. I have Comcast as well (no HD service) and the only connections on the back of the cable box are:
- 1 coaxial input
- 1 coaxial output
- 1 composite yellow/white/red output
That was from memory, so I cant guarantee I didn't miss one output, such as S-Video.

xNSX

Reaction score
? my At&t thing has a hdmi output

,,,,sorry my bad tho

Dap Kin

old school
senior
Life Saver
Reaction score
Website
itsdap.com
I ended up buying this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-119...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313424160&sr=1-1

It had Amazon Prime Shipping and it was a Top Seller at Newegg (and the price wasn't bad either). I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it :)

Looks like you made a nice choice.

I would hope you checked to make sure you have a PCI-e x1 slot available in your PC.

? my At&t thing has a hdmi output

That means you have HD service. Or, it could mean you don't know what a set-top box is, and you're looking at the router. HDMI 1.4 supports ethernet connections.

There's really no need to continue and take over Trahm's thread.

xNSX

Reaction score
Looks like you made a nice choice.

I would hope you checked to make sure you have a PCI-e x1 slot available in your PC.

That means you have HD service. Or, it could mean you don't know what the fuck a set-top box is, and you're looking at the router. HDMI 1.4 supports ethernet connections.

There's really no need to continue and take over Trahm's thread.

LOL DAMMMMMMMM that hurt i guess its hd service
Straight up person need more people like that

Reactions: Dap Kin
Status
Not open for further replies.