How do I get rid of a keylogger on computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendy114

Registered
Original poster
Reaction score
need to know how to get rid of this keylogger! My bro said he keylogged me - at first I didn't believe him, but then I noticed he could ALWAYS get my password no matter what. ):

xtrapsp

Senior
senior
Reaction score
Website
internetaware.org
ok heres the solution:

You dont.

olina

Reaction score
i know what you mean, your bro may upset you.
here i have some suggestions and i am not very sure the effect course i have no this kind of experience, but you can try.
1.Use a spyware removal tool. Free tools such as Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware or Malwarebyte Anti-Malware are a good way to get started. Simply download the program and install it on your machine. For Spybot, for example, you click on "Check for Problems" and it will take about 30 minutes to scan your machine. After it is finished, it will return a list of possible threats and ask you if you wish to remove them. Click "Yes" and they will be deleted.
2.Use an anti-virus program. Some of the ones that you can consider are Avast, AVG and Norton Anti-Virus. As of 2010, these programs range in price from free to $49.95. Once installed, make sure that you have the latest updates in the virus database. A scan will typically take about 45 minutes to 1 hour to perform and should be done about once a week. If it finds anything, it will ask you if you wish to remove the threat. Click "Yes" and the program will be deleted.
3.Remove the threat manually. If using a spyware removal tool and anti-virus program doesn't work, remove the threat manually. However this should not be done unless you are an expert with computers as you can damage the registry and permanently disable the operating system. You will need to delete all the files, directories, registry entries and other objects that have become infected with the keylogger.

Mmo01

Senior
senior
Reaction score
hijackthis! Avira Antivirus! Anti Spyware Removal!

sakshi

Reaction score
The best and most appropriate way of disposing keyloggers from your system is using both anti-spyware software and updated antivirus. Examples of anti-spyware software include Avast, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, Avira and AVG. You can also use security suite softwares like Eset Internet Security, Norton Internet Security and Mcaffee Internet Security. Another option of getting rid of keyloggers is reformatting your computer. It may take some time but all you need is to back up your files by for instance using an external hard disk since formatting will erase any stored information.

Status
Not open for further replies.