Not open for further replies.

Soviet

Geek Firefighter
Original poster
veteran
old school
senior
Reaction score
Recently there's been a few scams taking place on IRC when a nick appears to be someone trusted, but it turns out that they are impersonating someone.

Note that it is against the rules of DAB-IRC to impersonate any nick.

It is extremely easy to tell if someone is who they say they are, below I will show you how.

METHOD 1, !check

The simplest way to determine if someone is who they say they are is using the !check command. If they are real, you'll see something like this:

2011-08-11_0027.png

But, if their IP has changed since they posted on TBN, you'll see this:

2011-08-11_0028.png

This doesn't always mean that they are lying. Their IP has just changed since they posted on the forum which causes DeBot to not know which TBN account they are tied to.

METHOD 2, /whois

If they are on IRC often. chances are they have registered their nick with the IRC services. You can get detailed information on the user by typing /whois <username>

If they have identified to their nick, you'll see something like this:

2011-08-11_0035.png

Notice it says "Is a registered nick".
This may look different depending on what IRC client you are using, it could say something like "has identified for this nick".

NOTE: this method isn't always reliable.. it's easy to register any nick you want if it's not already registered.

Also, Don't worry about !check if the person you're talking to has channel operator abilities. I have a different IP on IRC and it bugs me when someone wants me to PM them on TBN to verify who I am when I have OP in the fucking channel :facepalm:

Remember, if you can't verify the user on IRC. tell them to PM you on the forums before you go through with anything!

Yeah, I know I suck at making tutorials.

Reactions: BSOD
L

lockerzking

I felt for someone impersonating a mod so please guys listen to this method you might think it will never happen to you but it can

PhatBoyFresh

Veteran
veteran
old school
senior
coldschool
Reaction score
You can also ask that person to pm you on the site, but that's more work. That's what I did with Curt.

Soviet

Geek Firefighter
Original poster
veteran
old school
senior
Reaction score
You can also ask that person to pm you on the site, but that's more work. That's what I did with Curt.

That's already mentioned at the bottom of the OP :p

Also, Curt always has channel OPS, so I don't see why that would be necessary?

MoneyFreak

$$$
veteran
old school
senior
coldschool
Reaction score
METHOD 3
Never buy trough IRC. Always buy trough the forum.

:blink1:

Status
Not open for further replies.